Spices and herbs add more than just taste, they boost nutrition by adding antioxidants, phytonutrients, and anti-inflammatory power. Here are five of the mightiest:
- Cumin – High in antioxidants and great for digestion. Effective for respiratory issues and helps to keep blood sugar levels stable.
- Cinnamon – Helps stabilize blood sugar levels, relieves pain and stiffness in the joints, and has anti-inflammatory benefits. Also has a positive effect on memory and attention.
- Oregano – Is a strong anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-viral spice. It also relieves inflammation and helps with allergies as well as aches and pains.
- Ginger – Ginger is a mighty anti-oxidant. It is commonly used in the treatment of colds, coughs, and flu. It reduces nausea and vomiting and helps with motion sickness. As a strong anti-inflammatory, it manages swelling and helps in the treatment of arthritis. Ginger also helps fight cancer and reduces cholesterol.
- Turmeric – Slows the development of Alzheimer’s by decreasing inflammation in the brain. It is a potent anti-inflammatory that helps reduce joint pain and improve liver functioning. Turmeric is one of the mightiest anti-cancer spices.
As with any changes to the diet, it is important to consult with a physician. Dietary changes can interact with medications and supplements. All of these mighty spices can easily be incorporated into everyday recipes. Spice is nice!